Sunday, May 6, 2012

DIY Chalkboard

For our very "Pinterest Inspired" baby shower that my friend Jenna and I threw last week, we did a bunch of DIY crafts. One of my crafts for the party was inspired by my little sis for chalkboards made from old cabinet doors. Her blog, seen here, had a great step by step tutorial that made this a fun and cute project. Here is my version of the finished project:


I found 4 old cabinet doors downtown Portland at Re-Store, which is a habitat for humanity re-sale store downtown Portland. I found these cabinet doors for $1 a piece. That's right, $1!! Amazing!  With the help of Brian, we prepped our garage for spray paint and I got to work. Here are the steps:

1- Spray with primer
2- Tape off frame to protect from
the chalkboard paint

3- Spray with chalkboard paint

4- Take off tape and let paint dry

5- Tape Chalkboard area to protect
when painting the frame

6- Spray frame

7- Take off tape and let paint dry

8- Prep the chalkboard paint with chalk
and wipe clean
 Thanks Brian for the action pic :)

Here it is in action!

For more photos on the Three By The Sea baby shower please see my co-host Jenna's blog seen here and my blog post seen here.

3 comments:

  1. I didn't realize you primed them (I guess that's a basic step but I would have forgotten)! Glad for the DIY tutorial... very clear and great photos along the way! They look so great! Can't wait to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cute Kenze! I loved looking at all the shower pics. You did such a good job with everything! Have a great Monday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look awesome!! I have done this project again - and have found this way is a bit easier (less taping): http://tiffanyinreallife.blogspot.com/2012/03/pinterest-craft-day-tiffanys-cabinet.html Love ya! The shower looked AMAZING! So impressive :) I wouldn't expect anything less!

    ReplyDelete