Sunday, July 20, 2014

Sleep

Nighttime sleep is so under rated. I feel as though I didn't respect it enough as I was growing up, especially during my teens, college years, and night shift days. 

Becoming a mom has made me especially appreciative of sleep and "long" stretches. Since Billy came into my life, sleep has gone from nothing (nights 1-3) to 90 minute chunks, to a few hours at a time, to now just waking 1-2 times a night. My, how life changing it is to get night sleep again. 



Now that Billy is sleeping better, I get less middle of the night cuddles and that is something I surprisingly miss. Those silent moments. Just my baby and me. Nursing, humming, rocking, sleeping. No distractions, no other people, no phone, no music, no lights. I love those precious moments. 


It fills my heart and imprints my mind with the sweetness of these tender moments and this sweet little boy. Never will I forget these special minutes, moments, sleepy baby body that has progressed from swaddle 


To Swaddle me


to arms out, 


To sleep sack. Just recently it became clear that Billy loves the sleep sack to stroke on his face and hold onto, so now we always use the sleep sack! 


As he has grown from tiny baby at 19 inches to now over 25 inches,  it will always fill my soul with happiness to remember these moments.


We have a little routine before bed, once we see a yawn or an eye rub we give him a little skin to skin massage, then Brian will put him in a nighttime diaper and Jammie's and a sleep sack. 

After dressing for bed, he will nurse in the rocking chair, Brian and I will pray over our growing baby, and then Billy and I will finish his nursing with his white noise machine, while rocking and humming. I find that I always hum the same few songs as well, they include Baby Mine (my favorite, from Dumbo), Go to sleep, I'll love you forever, Go to sleep my honey (a kappa song), and Time for sleeping (a slow version of Are you sleeping).  We rock, I hum, he nurses, I run my fingers through his hair... We love it. Nursing, humming, rocking, sleeping. Nursing. Humming. Rocking. Sleeping.  


Tonight as I was putting Billy to bed I had been holding on to him with both hands, I'm not sure why as I usually use one of my hands to stroke his hair.  His little hands have been more active as he grows and grows, and tonight they kept going up to his hair. Over and over. Over his ear and down, over his ear and down. Back and forth. Then I realized I wasn't stroking his hair, so I started running my fingers through his hair and his little hand stopped. It fell to his side. Relaxed. Nursing, humming, rocking, sleeping. Nursing. Humming. Rocking. Sleeping. How sweet of a reminder was that? Baby Billy, I love to stroke your hair. I love that you love me stroking your hair. 


Tiny forehead kisses for my sweet boy. Into his crib and then, "night night Billy I love you." Forever I will love these moments. As the book sings:

I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, 
As long as I'm living, my baby you'll be. 

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Just beautiful! I'm having a hard time letting go of my baby at bedtime too... I experienced how fast it flies by with Bennett, and because of that I still bring my 17 month old "baby" into bed to cuddle and nurse to sleep with me!!!!!!!!!!! Babyhood goes too quickly... MUCH too quickly! Good job for soaking up every moment McKenzie! Billy is such a lucky little boy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love, love, love, bed nursing and cuddles We do that every morning if we don't need to get up and out the door. By far the best mornings ever :)

      Delete