AKA- the hike that only kind of happened.
I was so excited to hike the gorge this weekend in the sunny, beautiful weather! Brian had the idea to hike out near our house at Larch Mountain instead, but I was pumped! I wore a tank top, shorts, old running sneakers, packed my camel back... and I was ready for the sun! (please note our pale, pale skin)
We started our hike and we noticed it was kind of wet on the trail despite the hot weather, but we kept going. Then we noticed some snow on the side of the trail. I asked Brian if it was going to get snowier as we went up, and Brian assured me that it would clear up once we were out of the trees as we climbed up the mountain... riiiight.
We kept climbing, and climbing, and climbing. It got snowier, and snowier, and snowier. I told Brian that I wasn't very comfortable with wet, cold feet, and he suggested we just keep climbing as it was supposed to keep "clearing up." So we kept climbing, until we passed some people coming down on snow shoes and snow pants. They said it only gets snowier as you go up. Awesome. So we turned around and walked down very carefully in the snow.
Hike: fail.
I wasn't a happy girl with my cold feet, and I started whining. I told Brian if I had an indian name, it would be "Girl with unsure footing in the snow" and told Brian his was "Boy who needs a lesson in the relationship between snowfall and altitude." He didn't like that one. hahaha I was such a brat. He put me on conversation "time-out" and then by the time we hiked down we were on good terms again :)
Despite the failed attempt and cold feet, it sure was pretty! We will have to try this hike again this summer once the snow has all melted.
No comments:
Post a Comment