Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Chevy's Corn Mush

This is BY FAR Brian's favorite new homemade food. Have you ever been to Chevy's? Have you ever tried that delicious ice cream looking scoop of yellow corn mush they put on your plate? You either love it or you hate it... and my husband loves it.

This is also known as Sweet Corn Tomalito, thank you google for enlightening us. When we were at the store, we headed to the Mexican Food section and found the ingredients to try this on our own. It was a huge hit, and now currently one of Brian's favorites! I found this recipe, and it worked out well:
http://tiffomelon.blogspot.com/2010/05/sweet-corn-tomalito-ie-chevys-corn-mush.html  


Chevy's Corn Mush


Ingredients:

1/2 Cup Softened Butter
1/2 Cup Masa Harina (Corn Flour- we found it in the Hispanic Section at our local Safeway)
1/2 Cup Sugar
2 Cans Creamed Corn (~15 oz/can)
1 Can Corn (~15 oz)
1 Cup Cornmeal
2 Heaping Teaspoons Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Cup Milk



Directions:


1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

2. Mix together the margarine/butter, masa harina and sugar.

3. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix together well.  
(Try not not spill on the counter like I did!) 

4. Spread out the mixture onto a 9x13 glass pyrex dish (other pans may work as well).

Also, use a BIG Pyrex. This one I used was too small and I had to scoop out about 2 cups to finish cooking.


5. Place the dish with the mixture on top of another dish that is filled halfway with water.

6. Cover the dishes with aluminum foil.

7. Carefully place the dishes into the oven and bake for 1 hr.

8. Take off aluminum foil and cook an additional 15 minutes if you enjoy a little crispy on the top.

9. Check with a toothpick if the dish is done. When done, the toothpick will come out clean.

5 comments:

  1. Yum! This looks so good Kenze!!! I want to make this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks wonderful! Do you drain the corn?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This recipe is super yummy, and really easy. I forgot the cornmeal at the store, oops, so I replaced it with masa flour, and it turned out fine. I baked it for an extra 15 minutes to make it a little bit thicker due to the lack of thickness from the cornmeal. Thanks for sharing this great recipe, it tasted JUST like the real stuff!!

    -Shelby Payne

    shelbypayne.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete