Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Living room... in process

When we moved into our home, and for the past year, our living room has been very empty!! Couch, tv, coffee table. Nothin' much.

What I would like to see is fancy Notty Alder Buit-ins and Leather Chairs. I priced these out, and the Built-ins would be around $4K+ and this antique leather chair would be around $3K. That's not a budget priority right now. Champagne taste on a beer budget (again!), right?

 

Our big old sectional I got from a friend in nursing school is serving us well, but it was our only seating in the large empty room, so I have been searching and shopping for months now.


Out of the blue, a friend from college posted on her FB page that they were trying to sell her parent's green chenille formal living room chairs for around $100. I was sold. I drove down to Portland and loaded them into my family sized car (even though we don't have kids yet :) and brought them home! I thought I just about found the best deal ever!


Soon after, my friend Shaunna and I were at Target and found a houndstooth storage ottoman that matched our couch to add to our little seating area, and I felt like it was complete. I love this new little addition. It's very rustic and mix-and-match, and I really like this!


Being so excited, I didn't really take into consideration Brian's thoughts on our new little additions other than how much money I saved. HAHA! He was very surprised when he came home from work- and he doesn't like surprises. I figured I would explain how they can be just temporary and I can turn around and sell them for the same price, no problem. Think of them as a "loan" until we can afford all brand new living room furniture :) So far- so good. They are still there.




Little by little, and month by month our house is feeling more like a home. Filling in the empty areas, and making it more home-y. How do people furnish their homes so quickly with brand new furniture? I wouldn't mind if I could do that! Mixing and matching, getting creative, and sticking to a budget, we will get there, eventually.  Next up is a much better TV stand...

2 comments:

  1. I love these chairs and am so impressed that you found them for such a great deal. Awesome find!

    ReplyDelete